Information we collect
When you make a donation or submit information using an online form (e.g. newletter sign up, urgent action, etc), CIEL may collect any of the following information that you have provided:
- Information that you provide when registering for one of our newsletters or events (e.g. your name and email address);
- Information that you provide when donating to CIEL (e.g. your name, email address and payment details);
- Information that you provide when filling out the contact form on the website (e.g. your name, email address and phone number);
- Information related to email deliverability and user experience (e.g. if opened, links clicked).
Information about how you use our website (e.g. the pages visited, the type of browser and operating system used, and the referral page if applicable) is collected in aggregate and will not be attributed to you as an individual.
How we use your information
CIEL may use your information to:
- Send you newsletters, action alerts, event invitations, and appeals if you have opted to receive them;
- Process your payments if you have made a donation;
- Understand, improve, and optimize our email communication and related experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research;
- Assist with questions or requests.
When our website asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card numbers), that information is encrypted and is protected in accordance with the latest Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information online, we also do everything in our power to protect user information off-line. All of our users’ information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted to only employees who need the information to perform a specific job. All of our databases are password-protected to ensure that unauthorized users cannot access sensitive data.
In the event of any suspected personal data breach, we will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach as legally required.
Third party vendors
To use certain features of CIEL’s website (such as making online donations), we may require you to provide to our third party payment processor, certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to facilitate the processing of donations. All financial information will be collected directly by third party payment processors according to their privacy policies.
CIEL’s website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). The website uses no cookies, except those necessary for analytics.
Links to other websites
Sharing of information
CIEL will never share your information with a third party without your express consent. As noted above, however, our website and emails may contain links to third party sites.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
If you are under 16 years of age, please do not enter personal information on our website without the express permission of your parent or guardian.
Your acceptance of these terms
At any time, you may ask for a copy of the information that we have about you by contacting us at: [email protected] To ensure your privacy, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before sharing that information with you. You also can request the modification, correction, or removal of your data from our database.
If you wish to stop receiving emails from CIEL at any time, you may do so by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of our newsletters. Alternatively, please contact us at: [email protected]
Updated May 25, 2018